How do I obtain the birth certificate and Social Security card for my child?

Van Wert Health doesn’t issue any birth certificates. Instead, the Van Wert County General Health District maintains all birth records. If you would like your child’s birth certificate, call the health department at 419-238-0808 Ext. 100. You can also request a replacement for a lost certificate at

Your child’s Social Security card should arrive in the mail within 3-4 weeks after your baby’s birth. We initiate this process at the hospital, and you don’t need to complete and submit any other documents outside of our hospital as part of this process.

If you have questions about your child’s social security card, please call the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213.