Van Wert, OH – Van Wert Health today announced major plans to expand and improve critical areas of the hospital. The new expansion, to be completed by summer 2020, will be built on the site of the current Van Wert Health main campus.
“The health providers at Van Wert Health are top notch and the people in our community have been well served for the past 58 years in our current facility,” said Jim Pope, President and CEO of Van Wert Health. “But upgrades are needed so that we can continue to provide state-of-the-art care. We face capacity issues on a daily basis, and improving and expanding health care options locally is integral to our mission to be the Best Community Hospital.”
When complete, the current hospital will be anchored by a new two-story, 84,000 square-foot facility which will help further address the health care needs of residents and visitors in our area. “This addition to our campus will greatly benefit our ability to take care of more patients and to give them the best experience for all of their health care needs right here in Van Wert,” shared Pope.
Plans for the major expansion include:
- A state-of-the-art surgery area to increase Van Wert Health’s surgical capacity, including an operating room suite consisting of four surgery suites
- Expanding inpatient capacity to 23 acute care patient rooms
- A dedicated critical care area including five intensive care unit rooms
- Expanding to 7 Labor and Delivery patient rooms and 2 additional OB/GYN rooms
- Three endoscopy suites
- Larger laboratory, pharmacy, and radiology facilities designed to maximize safety and efficiency
- Enhanced space for IT to support new information and clinical data systems
- New cafeteria and outdoor dining space
- New lobby and parking lot to make visiting Van Wert Health more comfortable and convenient for patients and visitors.
“It’s astonishing to see how far we’ve come with the support of the community. We are making history with this expansion project, which will ensure the best health care possible is available for Van Wert and the surrounding communities, right in their own backyard,” said Tim Jurczyk, chairperson of the Board of Trustees for Van Wert Health.
“The City of Van Wert is happy with the Van Wert Health announcement that they are expanding the inpatient hospital,” said Van Wert City Mayor, Jerry Mazur. “By making such a significant investment in our community, Van Wert Health is making it clear that they are committed to providing the very best care to the people in northwest Ohio.”
Construction is expected to start in September 2018 and be completed by summer 2020. The expanded hospital is being designed from the ground up by Design Collaborative, Inc.